Hi all, since my last skincare haul here, I’ve added some new products to my day skincare routine which I’ve been very happy with.
My main concerns are treating and preventing further sun damage to my skin, as well as keeping it moisturized during the winter time.
I love trying new products and evaluating their efficacy, but I think this new routine will keep my skin happy until I run out of it within the next 2 months:
Day Routine (March 2013) (listed in order of application)
1) Face wash – Shiseido Perfect Milk – this is a foaming type cleanser which has a very pleasant scent and leaves my skin smooth and clean, but not tight. I either use either by itself or with my Clarisonic Mia face brush. I bought this at a local Japanese supermarket, but it can also be found on Ebay or Amazon. It’s fairly affordable at $12 – $16/ 150 ml which I predict will last at least 3 months.
2) Skinceuticals CE Ferrulic – An antioxidant combo containing 15% L-ascorbic acid, 1% alpha tocopherol, and 0.5% ferulic acid, which happens to smell like sausages. Yes, Skinceutical’s CE Ferrulic does smell like sausages. I’m sure I didn’t get a bad batch either because I bought it from an authorized vendor, the color is a very pale yellow, which means that the Vitamin C has not oxidized, and I’ve read other reviews that mention the strange scent. The smell doesn’t really bother me because it dissipates after a while. Although my skin is sensitive, I haven’t experienced skin irritation and it has brightened my complexion. Research has also found that it increases protection from the sun and stimulates collagen production. All pluses in my book! I use three drops in the mornings only.
3) Skinceuticals Phyto+ – As reviewed here, this is my current holy grail brightener. I use three drops for my face. (Yes, I neglect my neck. I will probably regret this in 20 years!)
4) Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 gel – This came in a combination pack together with the CE Ferrulic and it is a clear gel formula which is scent-free. I apply three drops post layering CE Ferrulic and Phyto+. It absorbs well into my skin and leaves it plump. It is running out much faster than the CE Ferrulic or Phyto+ due to the viscosity of the formula. I apply 3 drops, but the drops seem… larger. I’m almost halfway through my bottle and it’s only month 1. Will probably not repurchase.
5) Atopalm MLE Intensive Moisturizing Cream – Final step prior to applying sunscreen. This is a light-as-air moisturizer contrary to the name (Intensive Moisturizing Cream) which sounds…intense. It absorbs quickly despite the 3 products that went onto my skin before it and I think this is always a sign of a quality formulation. One of my pet peeves is a heavy moisturizer which sits on my skin and makes my face look greasy. This does the moisturizing trick without the heft and I’m happy with the price tag as well. ($24/100 ml tub)
6) Jan Marini Physical Protectant SPF 45 – This came recommended to me by my esthetician. My skin is sensitive and some chemical sunscreens irritate it. This sunscreen comes with 6% Titanium Dioxide 6% and 8% Zinc Oxide and protects my skin sufficiently. It is tinted so a note of caution to those who aren’t used to wearing tinted sunscreens. I’ve actually come to like the tint because I find that it evens out the redness and blotchiness in my skin tone and I actually don’t wear any foundation/powder on top of it. I believe it has some oil control properties because I’ve found that my T-zone requires less blotting around the afternoon in comparison to when I don’t use it.
7) 302 lip balm – MUST HAVE. This is another product recommended by my esthetician. She slipped a tube to me at Christmas time and I’m hooked. I love the clean ingredient list (includes avocado, jojoba and beeswax), the smooth creaminess, and the fact that my usual flaky lips are no longer to be seen!
Phew… Does that sounds like a lot to slap on my face in the morning?
It actually doesn’t take too long in the morning because all these products absorb fairly quickly and I layer them on top of one another within minutes.
These 7 products together with my trusty Clarisonic Mia are my arsenal against winter flaky skin + the sun!